Saturday, May 23, 2009

BAM African Festival Vibrates with Positivity & Creativity




The parking lots and streets outside the Brooklyn Academy of Music are transformed every Memorial Day weekend into a vibrant bazaar with hundreds of booths filled with gorgeous handcrafted and imported goods. The sound of the drum is everywhere, as elegance, spirituality, radical black theory and hipness mix on Brooklyn streets, and where creativity and positivity abound. Evening performances include the best dance, music & film Mother Africa has to offer. Here are just a few of the wonders of the festival.

Original oil paintings by Abdul Badi Abiumi@people.com

Go Green African-style with a hand-painted recycled cardboard and coconut fiber hat. These “Chameleon” hats look like vase shaped sculptress when off the head, and can be worn in a variety of different ways. Sylvia, the vendor, spoke to me about how she met the man that creates these great hats at last year’s Festival, and her decision to turn them into bright and colorful designs with paint. Sylvia can be reached at syl.reno@verizon.net or by phone at718-738-6989.


Freedom Bey paints suitcases and briefcases with stark zebra stripes and images of the African continent – how could anyone travel without one? Reach her at Luremobilart@aol.com or 678-755-6111.







Freedom’s fiancĂ©, Afreakstar, of Sacred 77 clothing makes hand painted cotton designs that go beautifully with Freedom’s travel bags.Afreakstar@gmail.com









For that perfect handmade leather shoulder bag, stop by Artwear by Robbie who hails from Georgia. Robbiewear@aol.com, http://www.robbiewear.com.









Dress like the royalty you are with Obinrin Asiko from Nigeria, by donning a high gold gele” style hat. http://www.obinrin-asiko.com, 646-552-3823.



Of course I had to stop by my favorite vendor, Lavalais at Bamboozle, to purchase several “ear spears.” These wonderful ear adornments come in all sizes and shapes – and they allow me to look “pierced” when in fact they penetrate the ear using only standard earring holes. I had a great chat with Lavalais about my travels to Algeria and enjoyed meeting his new assistant and very dear old friend Jocelyn, who told me about her Japan adventures. The ear spears I bought this year match my wild blue hair and are a great bargain. http://earspears.com


Although I’m true-blue to Lavalais, having been his customer for many years at the African Festival, I couldn’t’ resist the beautiful silver and onyx ear decorations created by Melody D. Burns at KiiniIbura Jewelry, http://KiinilburaJewelry.com. The delicate branch-shaped piece I bought is made to be worn singly, and run up along the outer rim of the ear itself. Her many larger designs are pure elegance and some of the very best pieces I saw all day.

More exquisitely beautiful jewelry designs can be found at Embellished Woman, where Pat Terry and Debra White show their best handmade pieces along with imported items. This piece is from Scandinavia made of bone and lamb hide. More at embellishedwoman@aol.com, 914-589-3661.

Tucked in the exit way to one of the areas, Caroline Brewer, an author and educational consultant from Washington, DC, displayed Barack Obama: A Hip Hop Tale of King's Dream Come True, “A humorous, satirized, and fictionalized rendering of the presidential campaign of Barack Obama. Its swift-moving rhymes, rhythm, and drama entertain, while educating young readers and listeners about one of the most important events in American and world history. It ultimately reveals President Obama’s powerful connection to the enduring legacy of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. And what a beautiful book it is! Http://www.carolinebrewer.net.

Walking by Angelic Artistry, exhausted from so much stimulation and the hot sun, I saw a man having his feet bathed in a large metal tub by a beautiful woman. “That’s what I need” I sighed. The lovely woman suggested I put my name down for next on the list. How could I refuse? When my turn came ‘round, I was treated to a delicious pure cane sugar scrub with all natural citrus by the charming Trinidadian masseuse who offers aromatherapy body products, chakra balancing, auric readings and paintings for health and wellness. At her suggestion, I’m going to breath more while imagining clouds taking away my worries and eat more spice. But right now I'm enjoying the tingling sensation in my feet. Allisonartis4@gmail.com, 347-278-4263.

A swirling painting “Booty Pop” by Willie Torbert on display at Afroart Designs http://www.afroart-designs.net













Intensely attracted by the powerful wood and metal staff he carried, and by his warm and inviting smile – I introduced myself to Sehu, the director of Goddess Herstory. “The Goddess HerStory Theatrical Players were born out of a collective of women and men of good will towards women who cyclically come together to study the ancient herstorical time line of feminine divinity, their mythological stories and the ancient principles of feminine centered culture and sexual arts. The Theatrical Players were developed to address through drama the need for women to begin to revision themselves as new modern day Goddesses expressive of the greatness of the female spirit.” Sehu’s energy was so loving, and his artwork, made from plumbing supplies (!) so powerful; I just have to check out this group! http://goddessherstory.org/

On my way out of the festival, I run into poet, writer, book publisher and teaching artist, Jade, who is working with the Smithsonian on a festival that will take place next year on African women and adornment. Jade runs a community folk arts program interested in bringing me in to teach about my own “Sacred Staffs.” Lots of connections are made at this festival where so many wonderful people congregate!

I meet painter Seda Harunogh and her friend Scott Wiley with African Mosaic Soul Dance Collective …


Everyone dresses for the festival …


... tired and hot, I make my way back home, but nevertheless I take minute to SMELL THE ROSES on Bergen Street.


.... and dream of MORE of the African Fest at BAM ... 'till TOMORROW!



Go ahead, jump right in to the African Festival at BAM --contribute to the positive vibration!

http://www.bam.org

Judith Z. Miller
aka Artist Soul